New Poetries Banner

New Poetries Banner

Thursday 21 July 2011

Our readers write

Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron in Ken Russell's Gothic (1986)

Welcome to 'Our readers write', where we throw out a question related to poetry and ask readers to jump up and catch it. Got a question you'd like answered? Drop it in the comments section for use in the near future.

Thinking about poets in film, there have been a number of good films about poets and bad films about poets, but has there been a great film about a poet? What poet films have stuck with you through the years?

3 comments:

  1. First off, I haven't seen Bright Star, but they did seem to forget that Keats was 5'0.

    But now I'm thinking of films I've seen with poets in...

    Il Postino is obviously wonderful - how may people now see Phillipe Noiret in their mind instead of Neruda? But it's a film with a poet in it as opposed to film about one.

    That's my vote for it. If I come across any others in my mind, I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deemi, you're alive!

    I struggled with this - are there really 'a number'? I suspect its a low one.

    Anyway, I enjoyed Andy Garcia in 'The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca'. Not great, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend a film about a poem, -L'Amour par Terre- by Jacques Rivette, which, in its free-wheeling improvised two-and-a-half hour way is based on a sonnet by Verlaine. And stars Jane Birkin and Geraldine Chaplin. Worth a look.

    ReplyDelete